My Small Cloud Build R1304BT 1U Pro Hardware List
About $4,000 in equipment for this entry level server.
Note: The R1304BT is built on the S1200BTL server board which is what I am setting up and have setup. The Chassis has changed and has some nice features. If you look you should be able to find the hot swap drive bays.
Design should be about 60% hardware and software load of what you expect to see.
Core hardware components:
- Intel S1200BTL 1U Server (R1304BT Chassis)
- Because the server board I used 2012 Jan is not on the top list I'll be using the next server board in the same class. In any case, you're most likely going to have a better server.
- Micro servers from Intel: E3 family for our best ROI.
- E3 Xeon family
- So now that I know I'll be designing based on newer technology in the E3 family I'll start with just how I do things.
- Intel E3 Xeon Processors
- Selected for this project: Intel Xeon Processor E3-1240 v3 3.4Ghz.
- Price about $260 here's an example Boxed Xeon E3 1240 3.4GHz. (Boxed has retail warranty)
- Socket H2 LGA-1155 (the LGA-2011 is in the next build)
- 8GB per DIMM 4 DIMM total
- Here's an example kit $160's
- 2x8Gb x 2 total of 32Gb total
- Be careful not to order Registered ECC.
- 2TB sATA 7200RPM about $100 = $400 (4 drives)
Not a bad price if you ask me and this is the barebone of server builds. Don't expect to see lower unless you plan on really using desktop hardware.